Introduce yourself!

Say hello and introduce yourself to the FOSS RIT community. :wave:

What do I post here?

Tell us a little about yourself! Post an introduction in this category and say hello. In your introduction, consider answering some of these questions:

1. What is your affiliation to RIT? Student, faculty, staff, or just interested in FOSS RIT?
  2. If a student, what is your major and year of graduation?
  3. What are some of your hobbies and interests?
  4. What’s something you want to learn more about in the next year?
  5. Is there something with FOSS RIT you are interested in specifically?
1 Like
Welcome to FOSS RIT Discourse
(D. Joe) #2

I’ve now had several turns as an adjunct instructor teaching the Humanitarian Free and Open Source Software (HFOSS) course. Always a great privilege and most of the time a lot of fun!

I thought I knew a lot about FOSS but I’ve seen the truth in the idea that to really learn something, you have to try to teach it–I’ve learned, and continue to learn, so much, both from my students, and from the broader community.

1 Like
(D. Joe) #3

Also, does every introduction ahve to be a new topic? Seems like a single topic with intros would be … tighter, and sufficient.

(to extend my intro in this vein, I’ve been using a variety of topic-oriented web forums for a long time, starting with the WeLL but extending from that through a number of other systems inspired by its software, PicoSpan).

1 Like
(Justin W. Flory) #4

Hey @deejoe, welcome to the Discourse site! :wave: :smile: Glad to have you here. It will be great to have your feedback in the Site Feedback category about how we can improve the usability of the site for email users too.

Nope! I have no preference. Posting them in this thread works just the same too. :+1:

(Christian Martin) #5

Hello, I’m Christian Martin, also known by my handle of “ctmartin”. I am a 3rd year New Media Interactive Development student in GCCIS, but also do a variety of less-interactive things including cloud computer (aka banging my head against servers and/or burning things to the ground digitally). I’ve been with RITlug & FOSS@MAGIC for a couple years now and you can find me active in the #rit-foss IRC channel.

1 Like
(Ian Effendi) #6

I’m Ian Effendi (@rimij405) but I also use my name as my handle (effendiian). I am a fourth year Game Design & Development student in IGM, but, this is my first real dive into FLOSS (via my HFOSS course). I’m pretty busy this semester so I haven’t had an opportunity to go to many meetups with RITlug or FOSS@MAGIC, but, I’m around. I’ve made a couple repiles and posts here and there, so, figured I’d make an official introduction here.

1 Like
(Justin W. Flory) #7

Hi @ctmartin and @effendiian! Welcome. :wave: :smile: Looking forward to seeing you both around.

(Kent Reese) #8

Hello I’m Kent Reese, Third Year Game Design and Development Student at RIT. I’m into hiking, camping, canoeing and other outdoors-man activities. I’m also very invested in the RIT game development community through both ROC Game Dev and RIT Game Dev Club.
I’ve always wanted to learn how to skydive, I plan on learning that this summer. In relation to FOSS, I hope to learn and contribute more to projects like GoDot and AntiMicro. I’ve been a member of FOSS@RIT for a year now and I’m ready to rock.

1 Like