"RIT Survival Guide" for a technical major open sourced

Hi,

This past week I was working on practicing my technical writing skills and had been tinkering with a manual that incoming computing / technical / coding students can really benefit from. It’s current structure begins like a general guideline book to be as multipurpose for all students as possible but then delves into topics specific to programming majors.

I’ve decided to open source the document in hopes of refinement and creation of more in depth specifications / branches can emerge from the manual: https://github.com/DennisSSDev/RIT-Survival-Guide.

The document’s primary audience are incoming students and freshmen, so anyone above that level can really help structure the document to be more detailed and specific. Extreme specifications will require separate branches. For example if you would want to go more in depth on the FOSS side of RIT for incoming freshmen - that would be a separate branch as it’s no longer general enough information.

2 Likes

Hey @zeroflags, welcome! :wave:

This is a cool idea. Thanks for sharing here! Have you also shared it in places like the /r/rit subreddit or #rit-foss? You might find other potential contributors there too. :slightly_smiling_face:

:+1: I see you used the MIT License. A Creative Commons license might be more helpful for you since it is a family of licenses used for things like digital content (text, pictures, documents, etc.). Where the MIT License is a software license, the Creative Commons licenses are like Free Software-inspired (or copyleft) content licenses.

My preferred variant is Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0).

Hi, thank you very much for the suggestions. I will definitely switch out the license, considering it’s not software as you said! And I think that plugging this on the rit subreddit might get a lot of eyes on it!

1 Like